Bacon, fish, and more bacon, what more do you really need?
Oh, don’t forget Coke in the bottle. Life is complete.
My Blackened Fish Po Boy is delicious.
I love blackened fish and I can eat it on a Po Boy or with a nice salad or a pot of buttered rice.
I decided to use white fish and coated it in lots of creole spices and extra virgin olive oil.
Allow the fish to sit for a minute while we prepare the bacon!
Lots of bacon folks!
Hot, crispy, bacon and please don’t throw away the bacon grease.
Saute fish in bacon and olive oil.
Hey, it’s only a little bacon grease it’s adding to the flavor profile folks!
Don’t forget to be extra careful when flipping the fish so it want break apart. Often times when I make fish I don’t flip it because I hate when my fish crumbles.
Don’t worry if your fish crumbles it’s not going to interfere with the flavor or taste of our finished product.
The coke must be in the bottle, a can is not the same.
YEP, I said it, Coke in the bottle is where it’s at!
The soda just taste better in a ice cold bottle.
We’re all done and ready to take our first big, tasty, bite and enjoy.
- 8 tilapia fillets
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1/2 tbsp. creole seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 french bread rolls
Lick the bowl sauce:
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- ½ tbsp. tabasco
- Pinch of creole
- Pinch of pepper
- Mix spice blend together and set aside. Rinse fish under cold water and pat dry. Add fish to a large bowl, pour extra virgin olive oil and spice blend on top, mix well and set aside.
- In a skillet heated over medium high heat, fry bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from pan.
- Do not discard bacon grease we will use it toast bread.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan with remaining bacon grease.
- Add fish fillets cooking in two batches as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook fillets for 3-4 minutes on each side and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of leftover bacon grease and 1 tablespoon of butter and toast bread about 1-2 minutes until browned.
For the Lick The Bowl Sauce:
- Mix well, chill until ready to use.
To Assemble Sandwich:
- Assemble po-boy by spreading lick the bowl sauce on both sides of toasted rolls, place lettuce down, place 2 fish fillets on top of lettuce and 2 slices of bacon. Enjoy
- Serving Size: 4