- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp. chile powder
- 1 tbsp. Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 1 lime, zested, juiced
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- burrito shells
- red chile sauce (recipe below)
- green salsa verde (recipe below)
- refried beans (recipe below)
- lime rice (recipe below)
For the Roasted Green Chile Salsa Verde:
- 3 poblano peppers, roasted and skin removed
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos, roasted
- 1/2 white onion, roasted
- 3 cloves of garlic, roasted
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
For the Red Chile Sauce:
- 3 dry ancho chiles. seeded
- 3 dry guajillo chiles, seeded
- 1 small can of chicken broth
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 can hot tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 poblano, fresh
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
For the Quick Spanish Rice:
- 2 c. rice
- 2 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
For the Quick “Refried” Beans
- 1 small can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
For the Toppings:
- chopped lettuce
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- To prepare the Red Chili Sauce, coat with olive oil and roast poblanos, garlic and onion until poblano is blackened on both sides.
- Remove from oven and cover with a kitchen towel for about 5 minutes.
- Reconstitute ancho and guajillo chiles by removing stem, pouring out seeds and in a small stock pot cover dry chiles with water, bring to a boil and let sit for about 30 minutes until soft and pliable.
- Add reconstituted chiles, poblano, onion, and garlic to a blender, blend well.
- Take vegetable paste and add to a small stock pot. Pour in chicken broth, sugar, water and salt and whisk well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, discarding pulp. Add hot tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
To prepare Green Chili Sauce:
- Remove husk from tomatillos and rinse well.
- Rinse poblanos and add tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeno, onion and garlic in a roasting pan and coat with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and salt.
- Broil vegetables turning during roasting until skin is blackened on both sides.
- Allow roasted vegetables to sit under a kitchen towel to steam for about 5 minutes.
- Remove skin from poblanos and discard stem. Slice poblanos to remove seeds.
- Do not rinse roasted peppers or they will lose their flavor.
- Add all ingredients to blender, blend well.
To prepare the Spanish Rice:
- Bring chicken broth, tomato sauce and lime zest and juice to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Add rice, stir, cover and cook approximately 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow rice to steam for about 5 more minutes, fluff with fork.
To Prepare the Beans:
- Place all items in a blender and blend until creamy.
- Add to pot and heat until cooked about 5 minutes.
- To Prepare the Burrito:
- Slice boneless skinless chicken breast into cutlets.
- Place cutlets in a large bowl, add all spices, lemon and lime zest and juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix well.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In a hot grill pan add olive oil and grill chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side until no longer pink.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
To Prepare Burrito:
- Add sliced chicken into the middle of a warm burrito shell, top with beans, rice, cheese and roll burrito up using my burrito tutorial.
- Top half of burrito with red sauce the other half with green sauce then garnish with more cheese, shredded lettuce, guacamole and diced tomatoes.
- Serving Size: 4-6