After eating my wonderful Smoked Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, I wanted to create a light “snack.”
I didn’t want anything overly sweet, but it needed to satisfy my taste buds.
My delicious Lemon Glazed Southern Tea Cakes are the perfect snack!
I love teacakes, and if you’re wondering where is the tea?
It’s not in this batter, but in the south teacakes are often served with a nice cup of tea.
Usually, southern sweet tea, but at my home I make a nice cup of warm green tea.
This is a really simple dessert.
After you mix the teacake batter, it will be really sticky.
Don’t worry, once we chill these babies, covered with some saran wrap, in the frig for about an hour, or overnight, the batter will be nice and pliable.
After about 1 hour, I rolled the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
I then used a medium size biscuit cutter to make these nice rounds.
Place teacakes on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet and don’t place too closely together because the batter will spread and we want perfect non-touching rounds.
I bake my teacakes at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes or until browned.
Don’t forget to let the teacakes rest on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.
The lemon glaze is really simple, but delicious.
Lemon juice, zest, and confectioners sugar and about 1/2 teaspoonful of vanilla.
O.K. you can eat teacakes without glaze.
I love them both ways, but if you’re not big on glaze, these are perfectly delicious without glaze.
My teacakes have cooled and I just finished glazing them. They’re PERFECT!
Put on you’re favorite hat and your prettiest summer dress, and pour yourself a nice cup of warm tea, or sweet tea if you dare!Print
- 2 sticks butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cup all purpose flour, plus extra to roll out dough
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- lemon glaze (recipe below)
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 2 c. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- To prepare lemon glaze, place ingredients in a small bowl, mix well with a fork until combined, set aside until ready to use.
For the Tea Cakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
- In an electric mixer beat butter for about 3-5 minutes are until nice and creamy. Add sugar and beat for 3 minutes more. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating for about 20 seconds between each addition.
- Add vanilla and almond and beat for 20 more seconds. Add flour mixture in 4 batches and beat for about 20 seconds after each addition. Scape the sides of the bowl and make sure flour is mixed well. Transfer mixture to some saran wrap.
- Place in refrigerator for about 1-2 hours are overnight if desired. Roll mixture out on a lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thickness. Place on a greased cookie sheet about 2-3 inches apart, batter will spread as they cook.
- Bake for about 7-10 minutes are until nice and golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool about 5 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow teacakes to cool completely about 30 minutes before glazing. Glaze either the whole cake, or half. Allow glaze to set up and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 30 tea cakes