It’s the last day to enter the Vitamix Giveaway (entry below).
It’s almost New Years Day and no southern kitchen would be caught without a big pot of smothered cabbage to bring in the New Year!
I love cabbage and my delicious Smothered Cabbage with Bacon is one of my favorite side dishes to cook!
Smothered cabbage is really simple to make, just cook up some bacon, use that bacon grease to saute your onions and peppers in and add the cabbage, a little broth and apple cider vinegar and that’s it.
Don’t let the simplicity of the dish fool ya this dish is full of flavor.
The bacon gives this dish a nice smokey flavor.
It’s not like you can go wrong when you add bacon to any dish.
After about 30 minutes of cooking time it’s time to EAT!
Grab a fork and some black eyed peas (which I will be posting tomorrow) and it’s time to ring in the New Year!
Don’t forget to make some hot buttered cornbread to eat with this dish, it’s a southern thang.
- 2 heads of cabbage, shredded
- 1 pack of bacon, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons creole seasonings
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- hot sauce
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoonfuls of olive over medium heat,add bacon and fry until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper napkin.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to bacon grease. Saute for about 5 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add spices and mix well.
- Add cabbage and mix well. Cook cabbage about 10 minutes then add broth. Allow cabbage to cook 10 minutes more. Add apple cider vinegar, toss in bacon and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve with black eyed peas, rice and lots of hot sauce!