It’s time folks…for Copycat Friday!!!!
I am so excited because today is the day that I share with you one of my all time favorite restaurant eats!
PF Chang’s Orange Peel Chicken…my copycat version of course.
I must admit that I have a little addiction to P.F. Chang’s, and I am not ashamed at all!
I’ve eaten there hundreds of times…literally, I would say thousands to be exact.
Due to the fact that I am a certified P.F. Chang’s aficionado, I believe that gives me license to recreate some of my favorite dishes!
I would describe Orange Peeled Chicken as lightly fried, orange flavored chicken bites that have a sweet and tangy sauce that’s drinkable!
Look at these chicken bites…I have no words people…
You saute the chicken breast in batches then remove from heat and set aside while we create the sauce.
All I did was mix up the orange peel sauce, I used hot tomato sauce, I put regular tomato sauce in the recipe, because it was hot!
Like Thai hot, and this isn’t Thai food.
I love spicy food so that’s why I went extra hot with the tomato sauce.
Add the sauce to the pan and allow it to boil about 1-2 minutes so it thickens, then reduce heat and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes.
Toss in the chicken, cook another 5 minutes and it’s time to eat!
Look what we created folks, a little sprinkling of greens onions and a little fresh orange peel to garnish, and I think we created a little foodie copycat goodness!
Pass the chopsticks and let’s eat!Print
- 4 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup orange peels
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons creole seasonings
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- extra virgin olive oil
For the Orange Peeled Sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel 1/2 of an orange, making sure not to have too much white pulp attached. Slice peel into thin pieces and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for the orange peeled sauce together and set aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, place in a bowl, season with spices, mix well.
- Mix cornstarch and flour together, pour over chicken, toss well.
- Heat about 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat, saute chicken in 2-3 batches for 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- If pan needs to be wipe out, please clean the pan and add about 1 tablespoon of fresh olive oil, add orange peel and garlic, cook for 1 minute, pour in sauce.
- Bring mixture to boil for about 1 minute, reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to sauce, toss to coat and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve over hot rice, sprinkled with green onions.
- Serving Size: 4