Tender and hearty chunks of beef slow cooked in a fire roasted tomato based broth. Beef and Vegetable Soup is a quick and easy meal that will warm you up during the cold winter months.
2 1/2 lbs beef, London Broil or Top Round, cut into 2” chunks
4 cups tomatoes, crushed, fire-roasted
4 cups beef broth, low sodium
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
4 cups potatoes, peeled, diced into 2” chunks
2 cups carrots, peeled, diced or baby carrots
1 cup red onion, diced into chunks
1 cup white onion, diced into chunks
1 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup garlic, minced
2 tablespoons creole seasoning
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon paprika
extra virgin olive oil
all purpose flour to coat beef
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Rinse beef, pat dry, place into a large bowl.
- Coat beef with olive oil and 3 tablespoons of seasoning blend, mix well.
- Lightly coat beef in 1 cup of flour that has been seasoned with around 2 teaspoons of seasoning blend.
- Heat about 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the beef and brown in batches around 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat until all the beef has been browned and transferred to a plate.
- Add more oil if needed to the same pan, add all of the vegetables minus the potatoes.
- Season the vegetables with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend, mix well, and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, tomatoes, remaining spices, and broth back to the pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Simmer for about 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is fork tender. Add more broth during cooking if needed.
- Add the potatoes the last thirty minutes of cooking.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping, over hot rice if desired.
I used a russet potato for this soup. Red baby potatoes work just as well. You would only have to dice them in half. I don’t peel my potatoes when I use red potatoes. Also, fingerling potatoes work very well too.
Keywords: Beef and Vegetable Soup, Soup, Vegetable Beef Soup, Slow Cooker Soup, Vegetable Soup,