Looking for a quick, easy, and flavorful Lentil Soup with Sausage recipe? This filling and delicious soup is packed full of Italian sausages, vegetables, spices, and tasty lentils.
- 1 lb Italian Sausages, casing removed
- 5 cups Swiss chard, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups dried brown or red lentils, picked over, rinsed
- 2 cups fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups salsa, red
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- garnish with Italian parsley.
- Crusty bread to serve.
- First, mix seasoning blend together and set aside. Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions to pot and saute for about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook 1 minute more. Season with about 1/2 tablespoon of spice blend. Mix well.
- Secondly, add Italian sausage to the onion garlic mixture. Crumble the sausages well using the back of the spoon to break up. Season sausage mixture with a couple of teaspoons of spice mixture and mix well. Cook meat until browned about 5-7 minutes.
- Thirdly, add fire roasted tomatoes and red salsa to the soup pot. Next, pour in chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Add lentils and remaining spices. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Lastly, and most importantly add chopped Swiss chard to the pot, stir well, and allow to cook about 10 minutes more. We don’t want to overcook the chard by adding it too soon.
For the Crock-Pot all you have to do is follow steps 1-2 by sauteing your onions and garlic in a pan. Now, add your sausages to the pan and brown according to the directions above. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker minus the chard. Cook on high for 2 hours or low 4 hours. Stir in the chard the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Keywords: lentil soup, soup, lentil soup with sausage, kale, chard, swiss chard, sausage soup, soup