Hello People…it’s with great humbleness, I present to you, Shrimp Mac and Cheese.
Just kidding! This Shrimp Mac and Cheese is, da bomb!
Yes, I promise you when you make it, you want ever, I mean ever want to make another mac and cheese recipe again!
Let me take a moment to explain what I mean.
First off, I must take a moment to thank my foodie friend, Marc Hurwitz, founder and owner of Boston’s Hidden Restaurants.
Marc, like myself loves great food, and this is when the vision was born…Exhibit A!
Marc posted the above picture on Facebook of Lobster Mac and Cheese.
First, start off with boiled pasta cooked about 2 minutes less than al dente.
Secondly, mix up my wonderful seasoning blend!
I used creole seasoning, paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
After sauteing veggies in olive oil, I added the seasoned shrimp instead of lobster, and cook for a few minutes, remember the shrimp will finish cooking in the oven.
Lastly, I mixed up the cream sauce, tossed in the pasta, shrimp, and veggie mixture.
Prior to baking, top with extra cheese and our butter, parley, and panko bread crumbs.
Sometimes I’ll just top it with cheese and omit the panko.
It all depends on how my taste buds are feeling.
Hot out the oven, baked for about 20 minutes and broiled for a few minutes more.
Look at this!
I know you want a bite?
I highly suggest you make this.
- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta
- 1 lb. medium size shrimp, peel, deveined
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 oz. Gouda cheese, grated
- 4 oz. parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to boiling water. Add pasta and cook 8 minutes. Remove pasta from stove, drain, rinse in hot water, drain again. Coat pasta with about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, place in a bowl and season with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend and mix well.
- In a skillet, add remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, heat over medium heat. Add vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend to vegetable mixture and cook 1 minute more. Add shrimp and saute for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Shrimp will finish cooking in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all grated cheese together. Reserve 1 cup of cheese to top the mac and cheese.
- In a stock pot, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat to medium heat add flour and whisk well. Cook for about 4 minutes, whisking constantly, add remaining seasoning blend, cook for 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium low, add cream and milk and whisk well. Add cheese by the handful, whisking well after each addition. Add hot sauce. Once all cheese has been added toss in the cooked pasta and shrimp veggie mixture, cook for 1 minute more.
- Butter a 13X9 oven proof casserole dish with about 2 tablespoons of butter. Place the pasta cheese mixture in the casserole dish.
- Melt remaining butter, toss in panko and minced parsley, mix well. Top casserole with remaining cheese topping and sprinkle panko mixture on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, turn oven to broil and broil for 4-5 minutes are until panko is golden brown.
- Allow Shrimp Mac and Cheese to rest about 15 minutes then serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4-6