I am a big believer of teaching children to cook.
I learned how to cook from my mother and aunts, now I am passing those traditions down to my Baby Girl.
I try to teach my Baby Girl one new recipe a week and today we’re working on Roasted Citrus Chicken.
The goal of teaching someone how to cook is to allow them to develop their own food taste, and that’s why I allowed her to season and do all the work herself.
All I supplied was the ingredients and allowed her to make it her own.
All Baby Girl did was rinse the chicken and pat dry. Baby Girl drizzled the chicken with lots of extra virgin olive oil.
Next, she made a seasoning blend, based on watching me cook.
Finally, Baby Girl took some lemon and oranges, sliced them, then she squeezed the lemon and orange juice over the chicken, placing the juiced slices in the pan.
The chicken was then marinated overnight. Try to marinate for at least one hour to allow the flavors to develop.
Roast chicken at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes, baste chicken with pan juices and broil for about 5-10 minutes.
Chicken is ready to eat and cooked perfectly. Garnish with fresh lemon and orange slices to give the dish a pop of color!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up into pieces
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasonings
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place chicken in a oven proof casserole dish. Drizzle about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over chicken, rub in well.
- Take citrus slices and squeeze over chicken, place citrus slices in pan.
- Season chicken with spice blend, mix well, rubbing into chicken and sliced citrus. Cover chicken and marinate for about 1 hour, up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Roast chicken at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes. Baste chicken with pan juices and broil for 5-10 minutes, until chicken is golden brown on top, juices run clear, not pink and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Serving Size: 4-6