Years ago Big Goo and I was returning from Morro Bay, California and happened upon a strawberry festival. This is were I got the idea for my Strawberry Lemonade Doughnuts.
First, I will admit I only ate strawberries two ways, on cheesecake and fresh out the container.
That was until I went to the California Strawberry Festival and lost my ever loving strawberry mind!
Who knew about strawberry nachos, strawberry flan, strawberry pizza, YES, strawberry pizza and it’s so good!
And the ultimate Deep Fried Strawberry, don’t tell anyone, but that was so good and bad on many levels.
Good because I couldn’t stop eating them, bad because I couldn’t stop eating them!
Well it’s fresh Strawberry season and I decided that today is a good day to make Strawberry Lemonade Doughnuts!
Actually, I was supposed to make these doughnuts a few days ago, but it was like 110 degrees outside and I didn’t dare turn on the oven.
BTW, I am in Nevada not California, therefore the cool ocean breeze that we often have in California that allows you to prepare meals in comfort doesn’t exist in this desert!
I purchased my Wilton Doughnut pan months ago and just realized I’ve yet to make twist doughnuts.
Thanks to my doughnut pan and my store bought cake mix, it’s doughnut making time.
These doughnuts are really simple, you mix cake mix with strawberry jell-o, eggs, cooking oil and water. That’s pretty much it!
Don’t forget, I also added a little lemon zest and juice to the batter, it really kicks up the lemonade flavor.
Bake the doughnuts for about 18 minutes, make sure you don’t overfill the pan. I would say a little under 3/4 full should work.
While the doughnuts bake and cool, it’s time to prepare the wonderful strawberry lemonade glaze.
I took powdered sugar, lemon zest, and juice, mixed everything together and waited for my doughnuts to reach the correct temperature for dipping!
I think the doughnuts are ready to eat!
I spooned glaze on top, then topped the glaze with fresh diced strawberries and a little more lemon zest.
I spooned the glaze on top, but by all means please dip them people, the more glaze the better!
As the glaze hardens it candies the lemon zest, which gives us both candy and doughnuts in one bite!
Talking about delicious!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 lemon juiced, zested
- 1 box strawberry jello, small
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Strawberry Lemonade Glaze
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 lemons, zested, juiced
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease doughnut pan with nostick cooking spray.
- Mix all batter ingredients in a mixer on low for about 1 minute, increase to medium and mix for about 4 minutes.
- Fill doughnut pan 3/4’s full and bake doughnuts for 18 minutes.
- While doughnuts bake, prepare glaze.
- Mix sugar, 1/2 of lemon zest and all the lemon juice together. Add more sugar if needed, glaze should be slightly thick.
- Remove doughnuts from oven, allow to cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- Remove doughnuts from pan, allow to cool 10 minutes more.
- Glaze doughnuts, top with diced strawberries and additional lemon zest.
- Serving Size: 6-8 doughnuts