Yes, I know it’s 110 degrees! I live in the desert and it’s hot at heck out here, but a girl still needs to eat.
I previously told everyone I am addicted to soup, salad, cheese, and I forgot to mention chowder.
I love a warm bowl of creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder.
Eating chowder is so comforting, it’s like a favorite warm robe or fuzzy slippers, or in my case a nice piece of good cheese with fresh sourdough bread and grapes.
Yes, everything leads back to cheese for me, lol.
This is another quick 30 minute meal.
I used boneless, skinless, chicken thighs because I think they have more flavor than chicken breast.
First, saute the chicken thighs with a little extra virgin olive oil, add the veggies and broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Next, add mashed potato flakes, cheese and milk. Use whatever milk you want, low fat, high fat, and/or heavy cream.
Yes, heavy cream, if you want a really rich Chicken and Corn Chowder.
The chowder is all done and ready to dig in.
My family was in a uproar, saying that it’s too hot for chowder.
Hey, this Chicken and Corn Chowder is what I wanted for lunch, and I will eat the whole pot.
I guess certain people in this house will be eating sandwiches for lunch.
Oh, and it freezes well.
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups corn, canned, organic, drained
- 1 cup sharp cheese, grated
- 1 cup potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried, crushed
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- green onion to garnish
- cheese to garnish
- extra virgin olive oil
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Rinse chicken, pat dry, cut into 1 inch cubes, place in a large bowl.
- Season chicken with half the seasoning blend, mix well.
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken, saute chicken for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add vegetables to pot and saute 5 minutes more.
- Add broth and corn, remaining seasonings, mix well.
- Bring mixture to boil, cover, reduce heat to low, simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir in milk, cheese and potato flakes.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve with cheese, garnished with green onions.
- Serving Size: 4-6