- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small pack of chicken gizzards
- 1 cup gizzard juice
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Seasoning Blend:
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Rice:
- 3 cups Mahatma Thai Jasmine rice, dried
- 4 1/2 cup beef broth, low sodium
- Rinse chicken gizzards and add to a stock pot, cover with water, cook over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if needed.
- You will need to reserve 1 cup of gizzard cooking liquid..
- While gizzards cook, in a medium pan, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat, add bell peppers, onions, and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes then add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add ground turkey, break up, add seasonings and saute until browned and cooked through. Turn turkey-vegetable mixture off the heat and set aside.
- When gizzards are fork tender, remove from heat, drain, reserving gizzard liquid.
- Add gizzards to a food processor and chop lightly.
- Add chopped gizzards to turkey-vegetable mixture and heat over medium heat, mix well. Add gizzard cooking liquid.
To Prepare Rice:
- Add beef broth to a large rice pan, bring to boil.
- Stir in rice, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes, remove from heat, allow rice to steam 10 minutes more.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add rice a little at a time until enough rice has been added and mixture remains moist. You may not need all the rice.
- Add chopped parsley and mix well.
- Check seasonings, and enjoy.
Ground turkey can be substituted with ground pork or ground chicken.
- Serving Size: 6-8