I know it’s not Taco Tuesday!
In my house we can’t wait until Tuesday’s to eat these Turkey Tacos.
My family is in love with tacos and would eat them for dinner everyday if it was up to them.
The key to perfect tacos is making sure you use the freshest of ingredients.
I mean fresh tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, and sour cream are key.
Oh, and lots of good cheese, I mean lots of cheese people!
Our choice of meat for tacos has been ground turkey for years.
Big Goo loves ground turkey because he said it’s not greasy which means he can eat even more tacos!
If you don’t like ground turkey you could always use ground chicken.
Another key is to make your own taco seasoning.
Who needs to eat all those chemicals in packaged taco seasonings?
I create my own with chili powder, oregano, black pepper, garlic and onion powder and a little creole seasoning.
In less than 20 minutes, dinner is served and it’s time to chow down!
Why wait for Taco Tuesday?
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 8 corn tortilla shells, small
- cooking oil
- hot sauce
- avocados, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream to serve
- Mix spice blend and set aside.
- Heat around 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium heat, add onion and cook about 4 minutes, add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Season with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend.
- Add ground turkey to pan and season with two tablespoons of seasoning blend, mix well.
- Cook turkey until browned throughout about 12 minutes.
- Make sure to break up turkey into chunks as it cooks.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water if needed to add moisture to the meat.
- When turkey is cooked, test for seasoning.
- Add remaining seasoning blend if desired.
- In a skillet heat about 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Add tortilla shells one at a time and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side.
- When you flip on the second side fold shell in half with spatula.
- Assemble tacos with meat, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and lettuce if desired.
- Don’t forget hot sauce.
- Serving Size: 4