I took beautiful chicken thighs, breast would work as well. I love using chicken thighs because they have more flavor.
First, I browned the chicken thighs in olive oil to seal in all the wonderful spices on the chicken.
Then I took some candied ginger and tamarind, pulverized both in my Vitamix. You could also just chop it really fine if you don’t have a powerful blender.
The tamarind and ginger give the roasted chicken a sweet and spicy flavor.
Next, I roasted the chicken for about 50 minutes, covered in the wonderful, sweet and spicy tamarind ginger sauce.
After 50 minutes, removed the foil, basted the roasted chicken in the tasty glaze and broiled the chicken for about 5 more minutes to crisp up the skin.
If you prefer, you could also remove the skin in step 1. I love my roasted chicken with the skin on but it’s solely up to your personal preference.
This is chicken heaven! The glaze is beyond delicious! It’s sweet, spicy, tangy, and drinkable, yes, it’s that good!
This Roasted Chicken is so good, you’ll never go back to cooking boring chicken again!
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup tamarind, dried, candied
- 3/4 cup ginger, dried, candied
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- hot rice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- Add ginger and tamarind to a blender and blend until finely chopped.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken, mix well, coat in half the seasoning blend, mix well.
- Place about 2 tablespoons in a large skillet over medium heat add chicken in batches skin side down. Brown for about 3 minutes per side, repeat.
- Transfer chicken to a casserole dish.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoon of oil from the skillet, saute chipotle and garlic. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Pour over chicken.
- Cover chicken with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes, remove foil, baste chicken with pan juices, broil for about 3-5 minutes to crisp skin and serve with hot rice.
- Serving Size: 6