The fact that California is so diverse, affords residents and visitors the opportunity to taste foods from around the world.
Now, I will be honest, the California Burrito is not gourmet eating, unless you’re from California where we take burrito eating very seriously.
I would say that burritos are right next to eating cheese in my book, and anyone who knows me know how much I love cheese!
All these years I really didn’t know there was a special name for one of my favorite burritos. The term California Burrito must have been a modern day name invention.
When I was a kid we called it a burrito stuffed with french fries, no fancy “California Burrito.”
But it’s not just about eating burritos stuffed with french fries, it’s a true food eating adventure.
We would go to the local taco truck, and yes, this was in the 1980’s people. We would get our burritos loaded with carne asada, cheese, french fries and lots of hot sauce.
I am using ground turkey because I am trying to cut back on my red meat this week.
And YES, all these people who claim to have invented food trucks copied from the Mexican cooks who I grew up with.
Yes, I am off topic, but I needed to give a shout out to all my Mexican food truck owners who’ve been creating tasty eats since way back when.
Back to my burrito, I browned up some ground turkey, beef would work well, but make sure if using beef, drain the grease before assembling.
Next, fry up some crispy french fries and make a quick guacamole.
Place everything into a warm burrito shell and serve with loads of salsa and cheese.
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 bag frozen french fries
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon chili
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano, crushed, dried
- 2 cups cheese, grated
- extra virgin olive oil
- large flour tortilla shells
- Mix seasoning blend, reserve 1 teaspoon and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add onion and cook about 5 minutes, add garlic and 1 tablespoon of seasoning and cook 1 minute more.
- Add turkey to pan, break up into small chunks season with remaining seasoning blend and cook until browned about 15 minutes.
- Take avocados, add lime juice and 1 teaspoon of seasoning blend, mash well and set aside.
- Fry french fries according to package directions.
- To assemble burrito, heat shell in microwave until pliable. Place a about 1 cup of meat in the middle of shell, top with french fries, cheese, mashed avocado.
- Wrap burrito up and serve with salsas.
- Serving Size: 4-6