Bacon Hot Dogs are one my favorite ways to eat a hot dog!
When I was a kid we would take the bacon, wrap it around the dog and bake them in the oven, turning them until the bacon was crispy.
As I’ve gotten older and wiser, I’ve decided that the best way to make my bacon dogs is to fry the bacon separately, then top the dogs!
First, start off with high quality hot dogs. I love Nathans because they have a nice bite and the flavor is delicious!
Most grocery stores carry the Nathan brand of dogs, I believe I purchased the bulk pack from Sam’s Club or Costco.
Next, caramelize lots of onions, seasoned with a little celery salt, black pepper, and creole seasoning.
Add the dogs and cook until the dogs are nice and crispy.
Lastly, don’t forget to fry the bacon. I sliced thick cut bacon into chunks and cooked until crispy.
I also added a little bacon grease to the hot dog/onion mixture for added flavor!
Another trick to glorious bacon dogs is to lightly butter the hot dog buns and you can either toast them or steam them to perfection.
After all that easy work it’s time to assemble the dogs.
I decided to use yellow mustard and lots of ketchup to top my dogs.
Another wonderful topping is jalapeno relish, which I was going to make but changed my mind at the last minute.
It’s equal parts relish and pickled jalapenos.
Yes, it’s really spicy.
All done and ready for our close-up!
- 8 hot dogs
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning
- extra virgin olive oil
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan over medium heat, add onion and saute for 5 minutes minutes, season with spice blend.
- Add hot dogs to pan and cook 7 minutes more are until browned and slightly crispy.
- While the hot dogs cooks, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a separate pan over medium heat, add diced bacon and cook until crispy about 7 minutes.
- Drain bacon on paper napkins.
- Add a little bacon grease to hot dog pan for flavor.
To Assemble Dogs:
- Top buns with hot dog, ketchup, mustard, caramelized onions and lots of bacon.
- Serving Size: 4