It’s Hatch Chile Time!
My Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Hatch Chiles & Cheese is da bomb diggity!
When I went to the store a few days ago I was not expecting to see fresh roasted Hatch Chiles being prepared in the grocery store parking lot!
I got so excited I couldn’t contain myself.
First thought that came to my mind was cheesy chile chicken.
I wanted a chicken breast so cheesy that when you cut into it the hot cheese just poured out like lava!
Yep, I wanted a cheesy, chile, lava flow piece of chicken.
First, we have to prepare our chicken by butterflying the chicken in half, then placing it into a freezer bag or saran wrap and flattening the chicken until the desired thickness is reached.
No fancy mallet no problem, why not just use a pan?
You could also you a brick wrapped in a towel.
Yep, I am innovative, lol.
After the chicken is all coated in cheese and spices it’s bacon wrapping time!
Roll the chicken up tightly and then wrap 2-3 slices of bacon around each piece of chicken breast.
You can use toothpicks to hold the chicken if you have trouble keeping it closed, just make sure to remove the toothpicks prior to serving.
Sprinkle any remaining seasonings and a drizzle of olive oil on top of the bacon and bake the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the bacon is cooked completely.
I baked my chicken for almost an hour and 25 minutes.
Don’t forget to broil the chicken for about 5 minutes to crisp the top of the bacon.
The chicken is all done and ready to eat!
I will say this was a winner with my family, especially the pork loving Big Goo!
- 4 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 12 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
For the Stuffing:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Hatch Chiles, roasted
- 4 slices jack cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse chicken, pat dry, butterfly chicken.
- Place chicken in a freezer bag and flatten with a mallet to about 1/2 inch thicken.
- Repeat with all chicken.
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- Mix chicken stuffing and set aside.
- Coat each chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle seasoning on both sides of chicken.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of stuffing on one side of chicken breast, top with 1 slice of each cheese.
- Wrap 3 pieces of bacon around each chicken breast tightly, repeat.
- Place chicken on greased baking pan, sprinkle any remaining seasoning on top of bacon.
- Bake chicken at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until bacon is cooked thoroughly.
- Turn oven on broil and broil chicken for about 5 minutes to crisp the top of the bacon.
Chicken can be grilled for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees.
- Serving Size: 4