O.K. folks, I’ve gone and did it again! My Sun Chips Chili Pie is beyond da bomb!
YEP, it’s that good!
You remember a few days ago when I made my Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne?
Well, what’s a girl to do with all that leftover goodness?
Baby Girl wanted Frito Chili Pie, Big Goo wanted whatever, and my little brother wanted something with a big crunch.
That left me with one option, Baby Girl’s favorite chips.
I am all for tradition, I love me some Frito Chili Pie.
But, when you purchase Sun Chips in bulk, you gotta find more uses than eating them with sandwiches.
Chili Pie was the perfect use for all those Sun Chips I have in the pantry!
The end results was a crunch fest! I mean, normally I make Chili Pie and my chips become soggy from the hot chili.
These Sun Chips stayed crunchy throughout the whole meal.
I mean crunchy bite after crunchy bite, my Baby Girl couldn’t stop smiling.
She told me I was a food genius, lol!
Yes people, we take eating serious in this house.
Remember, my Sun Chips Frito pie is not just kid food, the big men in my house loved it and Big Goo wanted seconds!
This is a must make folks!
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 cup red salsa
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1 cup hot tomato sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- extra virgin olive oil
- cheese to serve
- fries to serve
- green onions to garnish
- Sun Chips
For the Roux:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- In a skillet add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add ground meat, onion, and garlic.
- Season with 3 tablespoons of spice blend.
- Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up meat as you cook.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, salsas and remaining spices to slow cooker.
- Mix well and cook covered on high for 4 hours.
- The last hour of cooking time remove the lid and prepare the roux.
To Prepare the Roux:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add flour and stir for about 4-5 minutes, until flour is slightly browned.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker, mix well and cook 1 hour more.
- Serve with Sun Chips, cheese, fries, chips, and/or hot dogs.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serving Size: 8-10