Happy Labor Day!
I wanted to share with you one of my easy Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne recipes that’s perfect for Chili Cheese Fries!
Traditionally when I make Chili Con Carne I take all the time in the world to roast my peppers, onions, and tomatillos.
I make a separate chili sauce and then I add all these ingredients together to seasoned ground meat.
Check out my Spicy Roasted Chili Con Carne if you have time to prepare Chili Con Carne the old fashioned way!
Today, we’re all about the quickness!
I am taking browned ground chuck, adding it to my slow cooker with two kinds of salsa and lots of spices and that’s it!
No oven required today folks!
It’s literally a five minute prep time and I let the slow cooker do all the remaining work for me.
After four hours on high we have Chili Con Carne.
I am talking about a rich, thick, creamy, spicy, bowl of cheesy, chili goodness!
I decided to top crispy french fries with this chili madness. I also topped hotdogs and made my baby brother chili pie.
Yes, this chili is versatile.
You could also just eat Chili Con Carne with a side of crackers or hot buttered cornbread.
I thought you might like a close up!
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 cup red salsa
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1 cup hot tomato sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- extra virgin olive oil
- cheese to serve
- fries to serve
- green onions to garnish
For the Roux:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- In a skillet add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add ground meat, onion, and garlic.
- Season with 3 tablespoons of spice blend.
- Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up meat as you cook.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, salsas and remaining spices to slow cooker.
- Mix well and cook covered on high for 4 hours.
- The last hour of cooking time remove the lid and prepare the roux.
To Prepare the Roux:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, add flour and stir for about 4-5 minutes, until flour is slightly browned.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker, mix well and cook 1 hour more.
- Serve with cheese, fries, chips, and/or hot dogs.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Serving Size: 6-8