Today is Big Goo’s Birthday and I am helping him celebrate by cooking him my Creamy Cajun Shrimp & Biscuits with Bacon!
Big Goo had no clue what he wanted for brunch and I decided since Baby Girl (the one who’s allergic to seafood and tries to prevent everyone from eating or cooking seafood in her presence with the roll of her eyes) is at school, I would cook shrimp!
I love brunch and this is one of my quick go to brunch dishes.
Although, this is only part of the real celebration because Big Goo’s Big Gift didn’t arrive yet I will tell you more about it when it does.
You really can’t go wrong when you have buttery biscuits, creamy highly seasoned shrimp, and bacon.
Lots of bacon is the key.
Oh, and bacon grease, what else are you going to cook the shrimp in?
First, I made a quick gravy using onions sauteed in bacon grease, chicken broth, and a little cornstarch to thicken the gravy.
Secondly, I added the heavy cream to the chicken broth and allowed the cream to cook over low for about 5 minutes.
I then whisked in sharp cheddar cheese to give the sauce a bite!
Lastly, I added the shrimp and Italian parsley to the sauce and cooked the dish for 5 more minutes.
Don’t forget to add dashes of hot sauce to your creamy shrimp mixture for an added kick!
To serve the dish, I split open the hot biscuits and poured the creamy shrimp sauce over the biscuits and garnished with green onions and lots of bacon!
Don’t forget to top it all off with your other half of the biscuit!
All done, ready to celebrate and ready to EAT!
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 8 buttermilk biscuits
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- hot sauce
- extra virgin olive oil
- green onion to garnish
- Cook biscuits according to package directions.
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- Mix cornstarch with chicken broth, mix well and set aside.
- Rinse shrimp, pat dry, peel and devein, place in a bowl and coat with half the seasoning blend.
- In a skillet add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped bacon over medium heat.
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove and drain bacon on paper napkin. Reserve bacon grease.
- Add onion to bacon grease and saute 5 minutes. Add remaining seasoning, garlic and mix well.
- Add broth to onions and bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream and cheese, cook 5 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add hot sauce to sauce if desired.
To Serve Dish:
- Split open biscuit, top with shrimp sauce, garnish with green onions and bacon.
- Serving Size: 4-6