Yesterday was rough folks! The Fiber Optics (fiber who, exactly, lol) were cut in my line therefore I had no internet, phone, or cable for a full 24 hours.
Normally, this would be no problem because I don’t watch much t.v. or really use the phone, BUT, no internet!
What’s a food blogger to do?
COOK and my tasty Cheesy Hash Brown Quiche with Bacon made me one happy camper.
The Cheese made me forget all my problems.
First, I went shopping and I have no clue why anyone would purchase 6 lbs of frozen hash browns.
I must admit I was suckered by the photo on the hash brown package, it screamed buy me, all 6 lbs of me, even though you have no clue what to do with me!!!!
Yep, they got me and I bought it.
Secondly, Hash Brown Casserole is a favorite dish in my house and I make it all the time.
Today I wanted to try something different.
I decided to omit the cream of mushroom and you guessed it, add more cheese!
One could say this is a lighter version of hash brown casserole.
O.K. not lighter, who am I kidding, but it does give the appearance of lightness.
This is one simple dish, all I did was fry up some bacon, drain the bacon, BUT, not the bacon grease!
Add the frozen potatoes to the bacon grease and cook for about 5 minutes, just to take the chill off the potatoes and to infuse them with bacon grease.
YEP, I said infuse the potatoes with bacon grease, don’t judge me people, I take my cooking serious, lol.
Lastly, add the potatoes to a casserole dish, bake for about 10 minutes then cover the hash browns with the egg/cream/cheese mixture and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes more.
Remove the quiche from the oven and top with more cheese and green onions.
Allow to set for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Don’t forget to garnish with sour cream before serving and extra bacon if you have any leftover.
- 4 cups frozen hash brown
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 pack of bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- dash of hot sauce
- green onions to garnish
- sour cream to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- In a large skillet fry diced bacon until crispy about 6 minutes, remove bacon from pan, drain on paper napkin, reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Add butter to bacon grease.
- Add onion and pepper to pan and saute 5 minutes.
- Add hash brown to pan, season with half the spice blend, mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, sour cream, 2 cups of cheese and milk to a large bowl, add remaining seasonings, mix well and set aside.
- Add cooked hash brown to a greased 9 inch pie plate, flatten evenly.
- Bake hash brown for about 10 minutes.
- Remove hash brown from oven, top with egg/cream/cheese mixture.
- Bake quiche for 25-30 minutes or until the quiche puffs up and is golden brown.
- Remove quiche from oven, top with remaining cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- Allow quiche to firm up about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with extra sour cream.
- Serving Size: 4-6