I have a bunch of my nieces and nephews staying with me for the Summer and I need quick, fast, and delicious breakfast recipes!
My Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes, Ham, Egg, and Cheese are the perfect kid friendly breakfast meal.
Not only are these tacos kid friendly, with about half a bottle of hot sauce I turned them into Big Goo approved!
First, I used frozen hash brown potatoes that were defrosted to room temperature.
You can use fresh but I was not in the mood to peel and dice all those potatoes.
I cooked the potatoes in olive oil and spices and they take less than 10 minutes.
While the potatoes cooked I added oil to a second pan and fried up ham and jalapenos!
Yes, the ham and jalapenos created a nice spicy oil for the next step.
The eggs were cooked in the smokey ham and spicy jalapeno oil.
If you’re cooking for younger children you might want to skip the jalapenos.
I am cooking for teenagers and all the children in my family love spicy foods!
Lastly, I took small flour tortilla shells and warmed them on a hot cast iron pan.
Corn tortillas work perfectly for this dish as well.
If using corn make sure you double the shells, that’s two shells per taco.
Stuff the shells with all the wonderful goodies we just cooked and serve them immediately with a side of hot sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime!
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos
- 8 small flour tortilla shells
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- hot sauce and lime juice to serve
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add potatoes cook potatoes about 5 minutes, add half of seasoning blend to potatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to potatoes, cover with a lid and cook potatoes until water is all gone and potatoes are tender about 5-7 more minutes.
- In a separate pan, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ham and jalapenos and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and add eggs that have been slightly beaten and seasoned with remaining seasoning blend. Add 1 cup of cheese to eggs.
- Cook eggs about 4-5 minutes until scrambled.
- Heat shells in a clean pan until warmed.
- Fill shells with potatoes, eggs, ham, and more cheese.
- Top with hot sauce and lime juice.
I used frozen hash brown potatoes that were defrosted at room temperature.If using frozen potatoes that have been defrosted you will not need the 1/2 cup of water.
- Serving Size: 4