I’ve never encountered a person who doesn’t love delicious tacos!
What’s not to love when you add meat, cheese and loads of condiments into a crispy taco shell?
If you don’t like tacos my Puffy Tacos will change your mind.
I had my first Puffy Tacos years ago at the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas.
I was hooked on the first bite!
I mean the shell was so crispy I really could’ve just eaten the shell without the meat.
But I didn’t, I ate the whole taco and then ordered a second one because I needed two tacos to make sure my taste buds would never forget what they just experienced!
First, the Puffy shell.
It’s important to not over fry the shell.
You’re looking for a nice golden shell that’s not to dark and not greasy.
No one wants a greasy Taco!
Secondly, the condiments.
Top your Tacos with all your Mexican favorites!
I love cheese, shredded cabbage, fresh tomatoes, jalapenos and a squeeze of lime juice.
Fresh salsas and hot sauce are also delicious toppings.
Lastly, hurry up and eat your Tacos while the shell is crispy!
Never allow your Puffy Tacos to sit because you want crispy bites of joy!
Fold the taco and eat up!Print
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 8 small flour tortilla shells
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- cheese, sour cream, shredded cabbage, lime, jalapeno, tomatoes, to garnish
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat add about 3 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Add onion and saute about 4 minutes, season with 1 tablespoon of spice blend.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add ground turkey, break up turkey while browning, season with spice blend and mix well.
- Cook turkey about 12 minutes, reduce heat and simmer while you prepare the puffy shells.
For the Puffy Shells:
- Heat cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add shell to pan and using tongs are a spatula, place in the middle to form an indent in the shell while it cooks.
- Cook shell about 1-2 minutes per side are until golden.
- Remove shell and drain on napkin.
- Assemble puffy tacos by topping with meat and condiments.
- Serve immediately.