Who doesn’t love football and a good sandwich?
Well, my Vegetarian Muffuletta is the perfect game day treat!
When I’m watching the big game I want foods that I can hold in one hand.
This leaves my other hand free to yell at the t.v.!
Yes, I like to use my hands when I’m yelling and watching sports people.
It’s all about the theatrics when you’re a sports fanatic.
Did I mention that this sandwich is vegeterian?
Well, YES, we’re going meatless and you want miss it!
Think about it, we have fresh bread, loads of cheese, sliced red onion, pepperoncini and marinated red bell peppers.
Oh, don’t forget lots of olive spread.
Who needs meat when you have all these goodies in one sandwich?
You can use store-bought olive spread or make my famous recipe!
Also, don’t forget, sometimes the bread filling is too thick so I remove a little so my tapenade is comfortable in it’s new home.
We don’t want our filling falling out, so this is an important step in sandwich making.
Yes, I take my sandwich making serious around this camp, lol!
After we load the sandwich up with goodies, now for the waiting game.
Mind you, you don’t have to wait, you can eat the sandwich immediately if that’s what’s your mouth and belly require.
BUT, if you wrap the sandwich in saran wrap, place a heavy weight on it, and allow it to sit for an hour or more in the fridge, it will allow the tapenade to soak in the bread, adding a whole new level of flavor!
Yep, this sandwich is da’ bomb dot com and I guarantee you want even miss the meat!
- 1 crusty bread loaf, large
- 1 cup pepperocini, sliced
- 1 cup olive spread
- 1 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 slices sharp cheese, sliced
- 4 slices provolone cheese, sliced
- Slice bread loaf in half.
- Remove some of bread filling if the bread is too thick.
- Top bottom of bread with olive spread.
- Top olive spread with two slices of each cheese.
- Top with sliced red onion, artichoke, red peppers and ending with pepperoncini.
- Top pepperoncini with remaining cheese. Top with live spread and top piece of bread.
- Press sandwich down firmly.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place a heavy weight on the sandwich.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Remove and slice into pieces.
- Serving Size: 4-6