I really needed to make a quick, barely any prep work required, meal for dinner tonight.
I can always depend on my trusty Slow Cooker Italian Bean Soup with Sausage to solve all my dinner rush problems!
With this house finally getting settled into all the back to school hoopla, this is the perfect no fuss meal.
I literally just browned my sausage in a little olive oil for about 2 minutes per side.
I only browned the sausage because Big Goo requires crust on his sausage.
He will not eat them if they don’t look like they’ve been partially “fried!”
You don’t have to brown them, but it does give the finish soup a nice look, and it’s Big Goo approved.
After I browned the sausage I threw all the remaining ingredients into my Slow Cooker.
I added frozen carrots, peas, red onion, parsley, celery, and lots of spices.
Don’t forget about the white beans!
I used organic, canned, white beans and I rinsed them before I added them to the Slow Cooker.
I poured chicken and beef stock into the pot and a little red salsa and that’s all folks!
I used the same restaurant style salsa that you eat with tortilla chips.
You can replace the salsa with crushed tomatoes but the salsa gives the soup a great flavor!
After 4 hours on high, it’s time to serve our soup!
When I first started preparing this soup for my family I always just served it with a side of crusty bread for soaking up that delicious broth.
Big Goo on the other hand had BIG PLANS and suggested I serve the soup with rice so he could use the bread and rice as a juice soaking mechanism.
Soup is hot and ready!
My kitchen is still clean because I didn’t need to dirty up 50 pots to cook!
And I have my hot rice and crusty bread ready for dipping!
- 8 Italian sausage links
- 4 cups northern white beans, organic, canned, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium, organic
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium, organic
- 2 cups red salsa
- 1 cup carrots, frozen, diced
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- cooked rice to serve
- crusty bread to serve
- extra virgin olive oil
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add sausage and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer sausage and all remaining ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve over hot rice with crusty bread.
- Serving Size: 4-6