I’m super excited about today’s Slow Cooker meal!
Being a certified Indian Food Addict I am so happy to share one of my favorite Indian recipes!
Slow Cooker Indian Lentil Stew or Dal as it’s called at my favorite Indian restaurant is the perfect Indian comfort food meal.
Don’t be shocked people but this dish is VEGETARIAN!
Yes, one of my favorite dishes of all time in the history of my food eating is VEGETARIAN!
Hey, I never said all I eat is meat and butter.
You may have gotten the wrong impression of me based on all these glorious recipes on Creole Contessa, lol!
See people, no meat!
Don’t worry because what this dish lacks in meat it makes up for in FLAVA!
Did I mention how spicy my Dal is?
That’s what makes this so delicious, all the wonderful spices.
I think I used every spice in my cabinet…
We have black pepper, curry powder, turmeric, ginger, garlic and onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and creole seasoning of course!
I think I named them all…
The best part about this dish other than it’s da’bomb.com is how simple and quick this meal comes together.
All you have to do is soak the lentils for a few minutes in cold water, drain, rinse, and throw everything into the slow cooker!
Once you put all the ingredients into the slow cooker, cook for 5 hours on high!
After 5 hours remove the slow cooker lid and cook about 40-50 minutes more uncovered.
Lastly, cook a batch of hot rice, or quinoa…
Yes people I eat quinoa, lol!
And don’t forget some hot roti or naan bread.
I purchased my roti bread from my favorite Indian restaurant and I found naan in the grocery store.
- 3 cups red lentils
- 3 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth, low sodium, organic
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Serrano chili, diced
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro to garnish
- hot rice to serve
- roti or naan bread to serve
- Soak lentils in cold water for about 3 minutes, drain, rinse.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, cook on high for 5 hours, remove slow cooker lid and cook 30-50 minutes more uncovered until lentils are tender.
- Serving Size: 6-8