It’s great to be back in cooking mode!
My Roasted Pork Cuban Sandwich is the perfect dish to welcome me back to cooking.
Yes folks, I’ve been on a cooking strike!
I thought it was time to teach my family a little lesson about the importance of appreciating a home cooked meal.
Big Goo and Baby Girl are so used to me cooking everyday I felt that they needed a little wake up call!
I took a month off from cooking and they took a month to appreciate what wonderful meals they used to eat, lol.
Baby Girl said “Ma’ if I eat one more taco, I am going to scream!”
Big Goo is addicted to tacos and that’s what they ate for dinner for two weeks straight, lol
Baby Girl decided to take over.
She decided to switch out the tacos for nachos.
I know it’s pretty much the same thing, lol!
I will admit I took great pleasure in watching them try to figure out what’s for dinner every night.
I told them you guys think it’s so simple to meal plan, now you know it’s hard work.
The roast for the Cuban Sandwich was prepared by Big Goo for Easter.
I took the time to teach him how to make my famous roasted pork and he gladly accepted my lesson!
I think it had to do with him not wanting to eat tacos and nachos for another month, lol.
This sandwich is delicious and I always make it for the family after the holidays with leftover pork roast.
You can’t go wrong with roasted pork, Swiss cheese, ham, pickles, and lots of yellow mustard!
- 6 slices roasted pork
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 12 slices ham
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- butter, room temperature, unsalted
- yellow mustard
- sliced pickles
For the Roasted Pork:
- 5 lb Boston Butt Pork Roast
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- vegetable stuffing
- olive oil
- roasting bag
For the Vegetable Stuffing:
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 white onion
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon spice blend from roast
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Mix the roast seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Rinse roast, pat dry, coat in olive oil.
- Add stuffing ingredients to blender and chop well, place in bowl.
- Cut slits around roast and stuff with vegetable stuffing.
- Season with remaining seasoning and marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, place roast in roasting bag, add 1/4 cup of beef broth to bag.
- Cut 4 small slits in the top of roasting bag.
- Cook roast at 325 degrees for 3 hours, remove from roasting bag, add remaining broth and cook 1 hour more.
To Assemble Cuban Sandwich:
- Slice roast thinly and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat and cook sliced roast for about 3 minutes per side and set aside.
- Slice bread in half and butter cut side, toast cut side for about 3 minutes in hot skillet and set aside.
- Add yellow mustard to toasted side of bread, top with cheese, pickles, roast, and ham.
- Butter the outsides of bread and toast for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Leftover roast can be frozen and used for other dishes or more sandwiches.
- Serving Size: 6