I am really excited to be participating in the Fight Food Waste with @OXOGreenSaver and Melissa’s Produce campaign!
Food waste is a big issue in America with more than 25% of fresh fruit and vegetables purchased by U.S. consumers are wasted annually.
My family is guilty of contributing to food waste but with the New OXO GreenSaver I’ve found a solution to my problem.
The three main reasons produce rots and spoils easily are ethylene gas, improper airflow, and uncontrolled humidity levels.
Fruits and vegetables gives off ethylene gas and when produce are exposed to this gas it speeds up the ripening process, which causes fruit to over ripen and contribute to food waste.
Produce often rest against the wall of containers, bags or crispers, causing limited airflow which contributes to moisture buildup and rotting.
The perfect balance of humidity is required to prevent wilting and to keep produce crisp.
The OXO GreenSaver allows you to waste less, save more!
GreenSaver Produce Keepers feature all-natural, non-toxic activated carbon filters that trap and absorb ethylene gas, slowing down spoilage and keeping fruits and vegetables fresher longer.
They also include elevated, removable baskets that promote airflow and help prevent moisture buildup by lifting produce up and away from the bottom and sides of the container.
The vent on top of the each Produce Keeper slides open and closed to maintain optimum humidity levels for different types of produce.
These factors work together to keep your produce stay fresher longer.
I filled my GreenSaver with Melissa’s Sweet Peppers and kept a watchful eye on them for two weeks straight!
After two weeks my Sweet Peppers still looked and tasted just as perfect as they did on day 1.
I decided after two weeks to create my Grilled Stuffed Chicken with Cheese and Melissa’s Veggie Sweet Peppers.
This is a really simple dish that showcases the delicious Sweet Peppers.
Take boneless, skinless, chicken breast and cut a slit through the side, making sure you don’t cut all the way through.
Season the chicken and fill with sliced peppers and cheese.
Place a few toothpicks to hold the chicken packets closed and prepare to grill!
Grill breast for about 8 minutes per side and prepare to eat!
I love the sweet crunch you get in every bite from the Sweet Peppers.
If you prefer you could saute the peppers in a little olive oil prior to stuffing the chicken breast.
- 4 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 8 sweet peppers, sliced
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices colby jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Cut a slit on the side of each chicken breast, do not cut all the way through the chicken.
- Drizzle the inside and outside of chicken with olive oil, rub well.
- Season chicken on both sides and inside the slit with seasoning blend.
- Slice peppers into rings and slice cheese and half.
- Place cheese on bottom of chicken, top with peppers and top with another slice of cheese.
- Secure chicken with 3-4 toothpicks.
- Prepare grill and grill chicken for 8 minutes per side. Or until chicken reaches a internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest, remove toothpicks and serve.
- Serving Size: 4